1 0
Read Time:3 Minute, 7 Second

 

NOVAK DJOKOVIC is looking to sue the Australian government for damages including his presumed Aussie Open prize money after being deported on the eve of the tournament.

Novak Djokovic was deported on the eve of the Australian Open (Image: Getty

 

Novak Djokovic is gearing up to sue the Australian government for £3.2 million for “ill treatment”. The world No 1 had his visa cancelled at the border when first arriving in Melbourne earlier this month but won an appeal to have the decision quashed. He was later deported when the Immigration Minister used his personal powers to cancel his visa for a second time.

 

 

Djokovic became embroiled in an 11-day saga after arriving in Melbourne earlier this month with a medical exemption granted by Tennis Australia.

 

 

The nine-time Aussie Open champion was taken to an airport room for overnight questioning when arriving late on January 5 and had his visa cancelled by border officials the following morning after providing them with “minimal” evidence of his exemption.

 

 

After spending the weekend in a government detention hotel, the world No 1 won an appeal to have the decision overturned on the grounds of “procedural fairness” after the federal government conceded they were unfair in failing to give Djokovic enough time to prove his exemption.

Djokovic was allowed to freely enter Melbourne and began practising on Rod Laver Arena in the lead-up to the Aussie Open, but had his visa cancelled for a second time last Friday and returned to detention once againwhile awaiting his second appeal hearing.

 

 

But on Sunday the Federal Court judges upheld Immigration Minister Alex Hawke’s decision, agreeing with the Minister’s claims and stating that “Mr Djokovic’s ongoing presence in Australia may lead to an increase in anti-vaccination generated in the Australian community, potentially leading to an increase in civil unrest of the kind previously experienced in Australia with rallies and protests which may themselves be a source of community transmission.”

 

The Serb departed on a flight that evening and is currently at home in Belgrade.

 

 

 

He is now said to be in talks with his lawyers over suing the Australian government, according to The Sun.

 

 

 

The 34-year-old is looking to sue the government for “ill treatment”, asking for £3.2 million in damages – including the £2.3 million prize money he would have expected to take home had he won the Australian Open.

 

 

It’s well known that Novak and his family feel he was poorly treated in the quarantine hotel in Melbourne,” a source close to his agent Edoardo Artladi told the Sun.

 

 

 

“His mother revealed how it was full of fleas and maggots. He was kept a virtual prisoner.”

 

 

Lawyer Toma Fila also thought Djokovic should seek damages from the government, adding: “He was subjected to humiliating treatment. He should sue.”

 

 

Express Sport has contacted Djokovic’s lawyers for comment.

 

 

Djokovic’s parents were outspoken when their son was placed in the Park Hotel following his first visa cancellation.

 

 

“They’re keeping him as a prisoner, it’s just not fair, it’s not human,” his mother Dijana Djokovic told reporters at the time.

 

 

“Terrible. Terrible accommodation. It’s just some small immigration hotel, if it’s a hotel at all, with some bugs.

 

 

“It’s all dirty and the food is so terrible as well.

 

 

“What can I say? They don’t want to give him any chance to move on to some better hotel or house, which he has already rented.”

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
100 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here