Dillian Whyte was critical of Anthony Joshua in a radio interview, claiming he has no-one to blame but himself for his loss to Oleksandr Usyk last month.
Dillian Whyte has called out fellow heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua for “letting idiots tell him what to do” amid questions over his corner’s preparation and tactics for the world title defeat to Oleksandr Usyk last month. The Briton lost to his Ukrainian challenger at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and must face him again with the hope of winning his heavyweight belts back
AJ’s team has been under fire since the bout, with many believing the former champion was ill prepared to face Usyk, who is ranked by The Ring and the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board as the second best boxer on the planet, pound-for-pound.
He is rumoured to be considering a split from coach Rob McCracken, and has recently been pictured visiting gyms ran by renowned boxing coaches Virgil Hunter and Eddy Reynoso in the US.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn was quick to shut down any suggestion that his fighter had crossed the pond in the search for a new coach.
“He went to see a number of gyms, fighters and trainers,” Heran said
“He hasn’t split from Rob McCracken, hasn’t decided he’s gonna join another trainer – he’s just trying to learn. There’s absolutely no definitive mindset or answer.”
Fellow Briton Whyte believes that any problem Joshua has is caused by himself, rather than his “great trainer” McCracken.
“The easiest thing to do when you lose is to question the people around you instead of questioning yourself,” he said on talkSPORT.
“Robert McCracken is a great trainer – look what he’s done for Carl Froch and other people on the GB squad. But when you lose you start looking for excuses. ‘Ah maybe I didn’t sleep enough, maybe it’s my coaches’
“Joshua’s problem is with himself, it’s not with his coaches – it’s him. He let all these idiots come around him and start telling him, ‘Ah, yeah, do this and be like this’.
“He should’ve started steaming Usyk after a few rounds, he should’ve at least tried. He just subdued to a 12-round beating.” And Whyte went on to say he doesn’t fancy Joshua’s chances in a rematch against Usyk, which is expected to take place in March next year.
Meanwhile, Whyte’s planned bout with Otto Wallin has been postponed due to a shoulder injury sustained just a week before they were due to meet in the ring.
It will be a blow for the Briton, who has been told by the WBC that he will be the mandatory challenger to Tyson Fury if he can beat the Swede.
Whyte was quick to dismiss claims he was faking his injury to delay the fight, claiming he had spent “six times as much” as Wallin on his training camp for the bout which was set to take place on October 31.
“People are saying I pulled out because of whatever reason,” he said. “If that was the case, why would I have four sparring partners here? I would’ve pulled out three weeks ago or whenever the [WBC] ruling was.
“I have the guys here, my whole team’s here. We suffered the injury, I wanted to fight. You’ve got professional people on your team, people who use their brain. I use my balls and my muscle.
“These guys are the brain guys – the surgeons and the doctors – and they told me, ‘If you fight, you’re gonna risk your career.'”